SWEET POTATO PAVÉ12/20/2020 8:11:00 PM
SWEET POTATO PAVÉ | Recipe by Florencia Palmaz from At The Table and Around the Fire
A sweet potato casserole has its place in the pantheon of holiday feasts, but we think this recipe for Sweet Potato Pavé is a luxurious take on the old standard—and what is the end of the year if not a perfect time to usher in the new? It pairs wonderfully with tender, lean venison and its thin layers melt in the mouth. No marshmallows needed here!
1. The day before serving, line the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish lined with aluminum foil.
2. Peel and slice the sweet potatoes using a mandoline or Cuisinart on the 1/16-inch-thick blade.
3. With a pastry brush, liberally paint the bottom of the pan with melted butter.
4. Place the slices of sweet potato, overlapping slightly, in a single layer. Every 3 layers, brush with butter and sprinkle brown sugar and salt. Repeat until the pan is filled, ending on a layer of sweet potato and butter.
5. Cover with aluminum foil. Weigh down the top with foil-wrapped bricks or flat rocks.
6. Two hours before serving, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the sweet potatoes, covered and weighed down, for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife.
7. Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave covered for 20 minutes to cool. If you attempt to unmold this while it’s still hot, it will fall apart.
8. When ready to plate, remove the weights and the foil. Cut into rectangular shapes. Sprinkle brown sugar on the tops and caramelize with the torch. Serve while still warm.